Friday, July 31, 2009

Savings Account

I have been less than happy with the plunging rate of return for my online savings account. I keep thinking that it was earning around 5% at one point and until recently was down to 1.39%. Not nearly as awesome. Two things have restored my interest in the account:

  1. The rate actually went UP. That's right, it is now sitting at 1.4% - in the words of KT, "booyah!"
  2. I finally figured out how to create sub-accounts. This is going to make budgeting, and saving for particular line-items that much easier. For example - now I will know exactly how much I have saved up for the next vehicle. I can even set it up to draw a certain amount each month and I don't have to think about it. Sure, maybe it is only 50 cents, but it's a start, right?
I know none of this is all that innovative, but I got pretty excited by those two things. Just watch out for when we actually create a budget . . .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's cool Greg. Would you teach me about subaccounts? Can anyone set one up with their current savings account, or would I need to switch to another bank?