Thursday, September 3, 2009

Music that is taking me back

During lunch today I stopped by the Provo library and found the New Millennium Hip-Hop Party CD. Score! On my way back to work I enjoyed several tracks that took me straight back to high school (but in a good way). Here are some highlights:

Me Myself and I by De La Soul - this came off one of the first tapes I ever bought. I distinctly remember buying it at the University Mall store (Musicland? - not the one that was near Mervyn's) and listening to it for several days straight. I really need to get that album.

Pray by M.C. Hammer - I borrowed this tape from Ken one time and listened to it while p
icking raspberries in my grandma's garden. I certainly had to pray to make it that day.

O.P.P. by Naughty by Nature - the memory the brought back was of me buying a "Down Wit O.P.P." hat while on choir tour in Washington D.C. I now kind of cringe at the thought of me wearing that hat around - but I really thought it was cool at the time. Actually, I wish I had hung onto that one.

Gangsta's Paradise by Coolio - I was really surprised by how much I loved listening to this song. What ever happened to Coolio? I have a theory. He is no longer relevant the moment he hung Weird Al out to dry after winning a Grammy. There's no excuse for behaving like that towards Mr. Y, but the song is still good.


People Everyday by Arrested Development - Sure
Arrested Development has a much better meaning for me these days, but back in the day, this group was fresh. I remember watching the video to this song while I was at the Palace - anybody remember the palace? Totally took me back to that moment.

It's interesting how many memories for me are tied up on music. Fortunatly, this one has brought back some great times. So I'm thinking I will have this CD on repeat this weekend.
Check it out if you get a chance.

2 comments:

Joe said...

Great songs. I'm sure we listened to those in your room a few times. I have De La Soul on my ipod. I remember playing Arrested Development while enjoying a game of bowling at the Super Bowl. I enjoy my Digital Underground channel on Pandora. "The Humpty Dance is your chance to do tha hump."

Zack said...

Ah man...what a list! It has me hankering for the heydays of hip-hop!